Remembering Matthew Perry

The One Where We Lost A Friend
An+Instagram+post+by+Entertainment+Tonight+honors+the+late+star%2C+Mathew+Perry.+The+actor%2C+known+for+his+role+as+Chandler+Bing+in+Friends+and+many+others%2C+was+found+dead+on+Saturday+Oct.+28+in+a+hot+tub+outside+his+home.+%0A%0A+
Entertainment Tonight Instagram
An Instagram post by Entertainment Tonight honors the late star, Mathew Perry. The actor, known for his role as Chandler Bing in Friends and many others, was found dead on Saturday Oct. 28 in a hot tub outside his home.

On Saturday, Oct. 28, the news of Matthew Perry’s death rocked the world. TMZ reported that the actor, 54, was found dead in his hot tub outside his Los Angeles home shortly after 4 p.m.  

While the actor drowned in the jacuzzi, the actual cause of death remains to be confirmed. 

As of right now, the LA County Medical Examiner is waiting for his toxicology results, meaning the exact cause of death will not be known for weeks. Police have ruled out the possibility of foul play. 

Perry is known for a variety of roles in television and cinema, including parts such as Oscar Madison in the 2015 remake of “The Odd Couple” and Oz Oseransky in “The Whole Nine Yards”. 

Nevertheless, his most recognizable part comes from the 90s sitcom “Friends” where he played Chandler Bing, a statistical analyst who, with his sarcasm and one-liners, won over audiences including a fan of eight years, Olga Magana. 

“I had a quote from Chandler as my senior quote, ‘I don’t know what’s going on, but I’m excited.’” – Olga Magana, a fan of “Friends” 

As Chandler, the “Friends” star was at the forefront of many iconic moments from the show, including its famous “Pivot Scene. 

The scene from the 1999 episode “The One with the Cop” finds Chandler and Rachel Green (Jennifer Aniston) helping Ross Geller (David Schwimmer) move his new sofa upstairs. While in the process, Ross shouts the word “pivot” repeatedly at the two until Chandler finally snaps back, “Shut up,” in an annoyed, repeated manner.  

The segment has since become a landmark moment for viewers partly from the actor’s line delivery. To Magana, it is the way he shouts, “Shut up, Shut Up, SHUT UP,” that makes this scene her favorite. 

The television and film star’s acting career was one of famous and humorous moments, but it was not without its dark side. Throughout his life, he struggled with alcohol and drug abuse. 

Perry noted before the release of his memoir “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing” that his dependency got to the point where he had to take 55 Vicodin a day and weighed only 128 lbs. 

During the height of “Friends,” the actor was battling his addiction, but fans say it was hard to decipher that anything was wrong. Briana Teran, who has watched the show since she was 12, felt that while physically he got skinnier, mentally he was still the usual Chandler. 

All the same, despite the uphill battles that came with it, the grappling actor worked hard to reach sobriety. In June 2022, after 15 stints of rehab and therapy, he declared himself healthy and became motivated to help other battling addicts. 

In November of the same year, the big-name actor detailed how he hopes fans will remember him for more than just his career in an interview on Q with Tom Power

“When I die, I don’t want “Friends” to be the first thing that’s mentioned. I want (helping people) to be the first thing that’s mentioned.” – Mathew Perry, on his remembrance

Until his passing, the celebrity strived to use his TV personality, as well as his understandings, as a platform to aid individuals struggling with addiction. Fans like Teran remember him for his strength and willingness to speak up about his experience. 

Though he is gone, Perry leaves a legacy of struggle, resilience and advocacy for those in need. On the morning of Friday, Nov. 3, the Matthew Perry Foundation was established in his honor to carry on his commitment to helping people struggling with substance abuse.

Visit the Matthew Perry Foundation to donate.