UNG Men’s Basketball Picks Up Overtime Win Against Voorhees

Photo by Ben Lilley

The No. 17 University of North Georgia Men’s Basketball Team mounted a 14-point comeback to defeat Voorhees University in overtime, 87-83. 

Voorhees took an early 4-2 lead over the Nighthawks and stayed in front for the rest of the first half. Both teams made 16 shots, but five three-pointers from the Tigers compared to one for the Nighthawks enabled Voorhees to maintain their lead. Nighthawks sophomore guard AJ White hit a buzzer-beater three-pointer to end the half, cutting North Georgia’s deficit to seven. 

The second half went back and forth, with the teams matching one another in made shots again with 11 each. 

With only 30 seconds remaining, Nighthawks senior forward Frank Champion made a layup to tie the game. The Nighthawks made a final stop on defense in regulation to send the game to overtime. 

With almost two minutes left in overtime, Champion made a shot to give the Nighthawks the lead. North Georgia maintained the lead for the remainder of the game to seal the victory. 

Champion led all scorers with 29 points, shooting 12-14 from the field, while also adding seven rebounds and five assists to the stat sheet. Nighthawks senior forward Eric Jones secured a double-double in the win with 18 points and 11 rebounds. 

Jones said the team regained focus on what it takes for them to win, which is executing on the defensive end. 

“We still didn’t defend to the level we’re capable of,” Jones said, “But as the game went on we continued to stay whole and was fortunate enough to rally back and force OT.” 

Despite only having seven healthy players, the Nighthawks were able to overcome a shortened roster to pick up their seventh win of the season. 

“I think that game is a testament to who we are and what we’re striving to be,” Jones said, “A group of guys that will go out there and get the job done regardless of the circumstances.”