Shaking Down with Kappa Delta

Braydi Burnett
Some of the sisters of Kappa Delta getting ready to open the competiton.

Memorial Hall Gym was buzzing during KD Shakedown, Kappa Delta Sorority’s annual all-Greek philanthropy dance competition.

Most of the Greek life organizations on campus showed up to dance to a mashup of music and show off their creativity, including the sororities Alpha Gamma Delta, Delta Phi Epsilon and Sigma Kappa, with Kappa Delta opening up the show with their own dance. The fraternities that competed were Phi Delta Theta, Pi Kappa Alpha, Pi Kappa Phi, Sigma Chi and Kappa Sigma.

Pi Kappa Phi was named the best fraternity with their Taylor Swift and Travis Kelce mashup dance, Delta Phi Epsilon won best sorority after impressing the judges with their basketball-themed dance and Sigma Chi was named people’s choice with a basketball player vs. baseball player face-off.

Kappa Delta’s earnings from the KD shakedown will be donated to the sorority’s local philanthropy, South Enotah Child Advocacy Center and its national philanthropy, Prevent Child Abuse America. 

Brothers of Pi Kappa Phi after winning best fraternity. (Braydi Burnett)
Sisters of Delta Phi Epsilon after being named best sorority.

Ellie Majdancic, a junior criminal justice major, said, “I thought the whole thing was super fun to watch. It was both hilarious and entertaining at the same time. Events like these are always my favorite to go to.”

Micheal Gairing, a sophomore, who performed in the KD shakedown for the Phi Delta Theta fraternity, said, “I had a lot of fun with it. I wasn’t really nervous at all, I was really excited to go up because it’s all just everyone together laughing and having fun.” He also added, “I hope everyone who watched enjoyed it. It seemed like people had a lot of fun with it, and I’m excited to see more stuff like this in the future.”

Kappa Delta will host another philanthropy event in the fall, the annual Run Dahlonega 5k. All proceeds will benefit Prevent Child Abuse America and South Enotah Child Advocacy Center.

Brothers of Sigma Chi after their people’s choice win. (Braydi Burnett)