Miracle Leagues Mission

Timmy+Cox+after+a+big+Miracle+League+win.+
Ryan Cox
Timmy Cox after a big Miracle League win.

Miracle League started as an outlet for kids and adults with different learning abilities to get active and be a part of a team. The organization has helped build self-esteem and start new friendships amongst the athletes.

Miracle League started in 2002 and now has over 350 organizations across the country, serving 450,000 children and adults.

“It’s fun to play with my friends,” said Timmy Cox, Miracle League softball player.

The organization is also appreciated by family members of the players.

“I think that the friendships that Timmy’s made over the years are the most rewarding. Of course, the games are fun and everything but the other kids that he’s met through the program are some of his best friends. It was really good for him,” said Ryan Cox, Timmy Cox’s older brother.

Miracle League has helped build up a community supporting those with different abilities. There are opportunities in the organization outside of playing the actual sports.

“The Miracle League is an amazing resource for parents with special needs children. They have different sports for each age group. It gives the kids an outlet to play a sport with other students or peers who might be performing at their same intellectual level,” said Margaret Jones, interrelated resource teacher for special education.

There are many volunteers and they are always looking for more to help with the program. The chance to build confidence through a sport can be mutually rewarding for coaches and players.

The league offers baseball, softball, football, basketball and soccer. Having a variety of different sports to choose from makes Miracle League all the more inclusive.

“I love the inclusivity and the opportunities that these kids and young adults have through the miracle league. I also think it’s an amazing opportunity for parents with special needs kids to see their child excel and enjoy a sport.” – Margaret Jones

Miracle League’s expansion in the community of Forsyth County, as well as other parts of the U.S., has changed the way people view special needs.

“When kids can be included and rewarded and acknowledge for their abilities, it always helps in the classroom. They come in, beaming about their games and their friends that they have,” said Jones.

The program’s mission is to provide a safe and fun space for the mentally challenged that they most likely wouldn’t find somewhere else.

“I believe that special Olympics evens the playing field for our special needs kids, and it shows our community what the children are capable of and brings a lot of understanding and awareness,” said Rachael Norrie, behavior paraprofessional.

Miracle League has grown tremendously over the past decade and is set to come to more communities. To become a volunteer, donate to the league or be a part of something truly special, sign up here.