Bold Confidence or Brave Hope

Braves+superstar+Ronald+Acuna+Jr.+looks+to+lead+Atlanta+to+their+second+World+Series+win+in+the+past+four+years.+
Britannica
Braves superstar Ronald Acuna Jr. looks to lead Atlanta to their second World Series win in the past four years.

Disheartening. 

Tragic. 

Demoralizing. 

The Braves over the past couple of years have been just that. Labeled as a team favored to win the World Series, the Braves have instead dropped two straight uninspiring National League Division Series matchups to the Philadelphia Phillies. Since winning it all in 2021, the Braves have won 205 games across two regular seasons and the only thing they have to show for it is two postseason wins.  

Looking back on free agency, the Dodgers stand out as the biggest threat to the Braves this upcoming season. They have signed the best player in the world, Shohei Ohtani along with signing the best pitcher from Japan, Yoshinobu Yamamoto and trading for former Tampa Bay Rays ace Tyler Glasnow. So, how is Braves Country feeling? Still think that the Braves are the favorites in the National League?  

As it turns out, feelings are a bit mixed regarding the 2024 season.  

“Bring on the Dodgers, bring on the Phillies, bring on the Diamondbacks. The Braves will beat them all. The Dodgers made all those moves to draw even with the Braves, but guess what? We improved too. We traded for Chris Sale, who when healthy, is Cy Young caliber.” – Jacob Pruitt, a sophomore at the University of North Georgia

He continued by saying that the Phillies are frauds, having backdoored their way into the playoffs each of the past two years and just getting hot and the Diamondbacks are one-year wonders who will fall back down to Earth this upcoming season.  

Maddie Brown, a third-year student at Georgia College and State University has more measured expectations for the season.  

“I have been heartbroken these past two years. I still expect my team to win at the highest level, but no longer can it be a forgone conclusion for me. They have blown it too many times for me to declare them as champions.” 

She goes on to say that there is more competition this season with the Dodgers, Astros, Phillies and Diamondbacks. The Rangers and Yankees are looming threats.  

There are Braves fans confident that they will be the team hoisting the World Series trophy in November, but there are also those fans who acknowledge that the Braves are one of 30 teams who can win it and that the Braves have shown a knack for losing in the postseason over the past few years.