UNG Baseball Head Coach Tom Cantrell Wins 1,000th Career Game

Photo by Braydi Burnett
Coach Tom Cantrell at Bob Stein Stadium during UNG Baseball’s series against Mars Hill.

Tom Cantrell, head coach of the University of North Georgia baseball team picked up his 1,oooth career win on Feb. 2 in a Nighthawk win on opening day. 

Last season, the Nighthawks finished with an overall record of 29-24, and coach Cantrell ended the year with 999 career wins. Now in the 2024 season, it did not take long for the veteran head coach to break into quadruple digit wins. North Georgia secured a 5-1 win over Mars Hill University on opening day in front of the home crowd at Bob Stein Stadium, getting coach Cantrell to hit his milestone.  

Coach Cantrell has been at the helm of UNG’s baseball team for 25 consecutive seasons. He has been the program’s head coach since its inaugural season back in 2000. Of his 1,000 career wins, 823 of them have come while at North Georgia.  

On the road to reaching this achievement, the Nighthawks won at least 30 games in 19 of Cantrell’s 25 seasons. In six of those seasons the Nighthawks won 40 games or more, including the 2005 season where they won a program record 57 games. 

Chase Sudduth, a former UNG baseball infielder, played under coach Cantrell from 2018-2019. He said his former coach always expected the absolute best from his players on the field and expected even more from them off the field. 

“You don’t get to 1,000 career wins or 25 plus seasons coaching without doing something right,” Sudduth said. “He prepares each and every one of his players for the rest of their lives.” 

Coach Cantrell said the hundreds of players he’s coached along with the great assistant coaches he’s worked with throughout his career are the ones that have made this happen. Additionally, he says that it has been an honor and privilege to coach, work with and be a part of their lives. 

“I am grateful for all the victories and this achievement in my coaching career,” Cantrell said, “God has blessed me beyond measure, and I look forward to giving my best effort to impacting young men’s lives for many years to come.” – UNG Baseball Head Coach Tom Cantrell