Hall And Hound; Cumming’s Next Big Hangout

The+Hall+%26+Hound+Brewing+company+is+a+popular+hangout+spot+for+residents+throughout+northern+Cumming%2C+GA.+
Jack Thurmond
The Hall & Hound Brewing company is a popular hangout spot for residents throughout northern Cumming, GA.

The Hall & Hound Brewing Company has made a name for itself as a community favorite in northern Cumming. According to locals, the restaurant and soon to be brewery is a great place for them to grab a bite and hang out with their friends. 

H&H, located just across Highway 400 from the University of North Georgia’s Cumming Campus, first opened to the public in the spring of 2023. The eatery’s owner, Patrick Hall, said he always had an interest in entertaining friends and family as well as good food and craft beer. 

After changes to state brewery laws in 2017 and spending a stint of time homebrewing, Hall was ready to pursue his own brewhouse, bringing each of his passions together.  

The restaurant initially opened its doors on April 19, 2023, in a soft opening. While the staff did ask customers for patience as they learned the ropes, it didn’t take long for quality service to become one of the facilities’ strong suits.  

Cumming resident Bob Frey had high praise for Hall’s staff and said they were well-versed.

“The service and the food were great. On a scale of one to 10, I’d make it a 10.” – Cumming Resident Bob Frey 

In addition to the first-class attendance, the food provided by Hall & Hound is described as some of the best in the area. Luisa Cristech went out with friends to give the rising bar a try and was amazed with the quality of her meal. 

“The prices may be a little higher than other restaurants, but it’s really worth it,” she said. 

Hall said what makes H&H different from its competitors is that their cooking staff goes the extra mile with their meal prep. He said they operate a scratch kitchen that focuses on using the best quality ingredients possible and strives to offer a diverse menu using what they have. 

Portions of the restaurant’s menu include meals ranging from down home favorites such as shrimp & grits to savory sandwiches like their blackened catfish po’boy. Simultaneous to the kitchen’s tall standards, the plan is for the alehouse to eventually run its own brand of beer via a personal brewery adjacent to the restaurant. 

The brewery segment of Hall & Hound is set to open in late spring of this year. Once operational, the business will be able to craft its own brand of beer through this building. (Jack Thurmond)

Hall said while the brewery portion of his business has taken admittedly longer than anticipated, they are currently in the stage of setting up interior electrical and plumbing and will start moving equipment once the drywall is ready. Assuming there is no further delay, he intends to start brewing later in the spring with his tasting room opening shortly after. 

In the meantime, the tap house has made do with local beers infused throughout Georgia, including Athens’s Terrapin Los Bravos and Three Taverns Passion on Ponce from Decatur. 

Frey’s wife, Bonnie, said she enjoyed the beer their server recommended despite her not being a beer drinker. 

Above all else, Hall said his establishment doesn’t just cater to residents and their friends. Since the restaurant is dog friendly, the patio is a great place for pet owners to bring their four-legged companions after a good walk. 

For Bob and Bonnie Frey who own a dog themselves, this is one of the first things they’d mention upon recommending the restaurant to friends.  

It’s pet friendly … they do make some specifications to you about your animal being friendly … but you can take your pet to the lower level specifically.” – Bob Frey, Cumming Resident 

As for the brand’s future, Hall said he hopes to open additional locations once their initial store is established enough.