The Recent Goings-On of SGA: Gainesville

SGA Representatives Gina Diodati and Caroline Beach and Dr. Bonita Jacobs reward Nighthawk Spirit Award nominees at Spirit Night.

The Gainesville SGA met Monday, Sept. 27 to discuss new business, elections, and Spirit Night. The meeting took place in-person in room 307 of the Health Sciences building on the Gainesville campus. 

At this meeting, the Office of Student Integrity’s request for $75, was approved by the majority. This was the only voting item on the agenda and the funds will be used as prize money.

The $75 mini grant will serve as a reward for students who attend Student Integrity’s Lunch and Learn Passport series. A total of $50 will be given to one student who attends all 6 Lunch and Learns and $25 will be awarded to a student who attends three.

At the next meeting, two much larger requests will be voted upon including $250 for NEST and $308 for Latino Student Association (LSA). 

Nighthawk Engagement and Student Transitions (NEST) will host a Veterans Appreciation Week Breakfast in November for UNG student veterans. The mini grant will cover juice and other breakfast items for veterans, faculty, and students. The program assists veterans throughout their degree programs at UNG.

The LSA requested $308 for their Spanish Graduation Celebration. Latino students and families will be able to attend a celebration exclusively in their native language. This is the second occurrence of the event. A photographer was projected to cost $200. With no outside source of funding, Vice President Tre Bennett proposed that LSA contact a student photographer instead. 

“With the increased space of film and digital media here on the Gainesville campus, we could try to place a student photographer to help lower the cost and make the processing of images easier.”

At the previous meeting over $2,000 was approved for Nighthawks Entertainment. 

SGA recently hosted the second annual Nighthawk Spirit Awards Wednesday where 8 students were nominated for the following award categories including: Integrity, Student-Focus, Excellence, Engagement, and Service. Dahlonega Vice President, Gina Diodati and Elections Chair Caroline Beach, delivered the awards with the help of UNG President Dr. Bonita Jacobs.

With the success of their first event appearance this semester, SGA is working towards a Senate election and student outreach to gain more voting members at meetings, especially on the Gainesville campus.

“SGA will continue to produce impactful legislation, promote student involvement, and support each and every Nighthawk.”- Jelma Florez-Mota, President

Senate and campus governance applications are currently open for all students as well. Some open seats include senators, communications chair, and elections chair. Senate applications are due October 1. SGA Senate will be in session in October.

If students attend three consecutive meetings, they are granted voting power. This means any student can vote on important items regarding budget requests, approvals, and resolutions. 

SGA Gainesville meets Mondays at 12p.m. in room 307 of the Health Sciences building.

SGA’s new marketing campaign was announced at the meeting as well. The LEAD campaign represents SGA’s actions for the UNG student population: listen, engage, advocate, and deliver.

The #stinginyourwing campaign was promoted at the meeting, encouraging students to receive COVID-19 vaccinations. Bennett reminded SGA members not to share their vaccination status based on a previous statement from Dr. Paul, dean of students, to better unify UNG.

SGA aims to be an inclusive advocate for students. 

For more information regarding SGA visit Group – About (ung.edu).