Georgia Film Festival Highlights Local Auteurs

Countdown to Georgia Film Festival!
The Georgia Film Festival is underway!

The University of North Georgia’s School of Communication, Film & Theatre (CFT) will host the 2023 Georgia Film Festival (GFF) on Sept. 15-16 at the Gainesville Campus. This year marks the seventh installment of GFF, featuring a diverse lineup of 46 films spanning across two days.

According to Dr. Jeff Marker, CFT director and GFF co-executive director, this year’s lineup of films is the strongest one yet. “We seek to showcase the best independent films made by filmmakers in Georgia and the Southeast,” Marker said. “We received so many high-quality submissions, we were able to be very selective. It was painful to say no to some of the films we decided not to program, but we only have so much time. Those we selected are truly outstanding.”

A notable attraction of the festival is the premiere screening of “Silver Dollar Road” directed by Academy Award nominee Raoul Peck. This documentary delves into the history of the Reels family, with a focus on Mamie Reels Ellison and her niece Kim Renee Duhon. These two resolute and perceptive women recount their journey to protect their ancestral land, as well as the unjust incarceration of their brothers and uncles, Melvin and Licurtis, who endured an eight-year imprisonment — the lengthiest civil contempt sentence in North Carolina’s historical records.

Marker said GFF attendees will be among the first in the world to see “Silver Dollar Road”, as the screening is just one week after its debut at the Toronto International Film Festival.

The Friday evening Nighthawk Shorts segment ranks as a highlight of the GFF for both students and the wider UNG community. A significant portion of the Nighthawk Shorts collection is created by students enrolled in UNG’s film and digital media bachelor’s degree program, often featuring actors affiliated with the Gainesville Theatre Alliance. GFF takes great pride in its dedication to supporting emerging filmmakers, with a particular focus on students.

“Education is built into our mission, and we’re happy to provide a forum for young filmmakers, right alongside artists making Georgia’s best film content” – Jeff Marker, CFT director and GFF co-executive director.

The festival also presents a College Shorts segment, which showcases films created at schools throughout the state, including those by Georgia natives studying elsewhere. Furthermore, GFF offers a High School segment that spotlights exceptional work originating from Georgia’s high schools. This steadfast commitment to fostering and celebrating local talent remains at the core of the festival’s overarching mission.

The festival’s screening schedule, as well as tickets, can be found on the GFF website.