Registration Opens for Graduate Student Research Symposium

UNG will host its inaugural virtual Graduate Student Research Symposium from April 12-13.
Peggy Cozart

The University of North Georgia (UNG) will host its inaugural virtual Graduate Student Research Symposium (GSRS) from April 12-13. The symposium will mark yet another significant development in UNG’s graduate programs and research endeavors. Students may participate in the conference as presenters or attendees.

UNG’s GSRS offers three presentation formats, with proposals due by March 1. Both the research-based and literature presentation formats include a 20 to 25 minute time span that ends with a Q&A session. Presenters may share information on their empirical research or on a topic explored through scholarly and research literature.

The 10-minute “from the field” presentation format encourages participants to engage in activities that provide knowledge, experience, or training related to the topic the presenter covered while doing case studies, practicums, internships, clinical experiences and other comparable experiences.

Dr. Katherine Adams, associate professor and program coordinator of the Doctor of Education in Higher Education Leadership and Practice (Ed.D.), is one of the three symposium committee leaders, including Dr. Timothy Hayes and Dr. Ryan Hipp. With the majority of their programs being offered online, the group’s goal is to assist UNG’s graduate students in gaining conference experience.

“We want our students to be as competitive leaving UNG as any other students at an R1 school or traditional, in-person students.” – Dr. Katherine Adams, GSRS Committee Leader

Committee Leader Hipp said the GSRS is a vital component of a well-rounded graduate degree experience.

“There is no substitute for getting in front of people and presenting something you have created,” Hipp said.

Justin Gaines, the president of the Graduate Student Senate at UNG, encourages other graduate students to present or attend the virtual conference.

“The purpose is to showcase our students’ research,” Gaines said. “We want them to let everyone else know about the work they’re doing.”

Prior to the symposium, UNG will also be holding a few seminars to assist students in getting ready to present their research. To make accommodations for the graduate students, who are primarily employed professionals, the conference will take place on April 12 from 1 p.m. to 8 p.m. and on April 13 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Registration for the free event is available via Zoom.