Crazy, Lit, UNG: A Look at Dahlonega’s Party Scene

Is UNG losing it’s crunkness?
Drayton McGinnis
UNG Block Party 2022
Filmed by Reed Fulcher

Less than four years ago, UNG had a national reputation as a school that partied in the face of a pandemic.

The block party in August 2020 gained attention through social media and  news coverage. Stories by major news sources such as CNN, TMZ, CBS and more focused on the students’ lack of adherence to the COVID-19 protocol. 

Recently, some students have brought up how the parties aren’t like they used to be. Chesney McCollum, a junior kinesiology major, “It seems there are so many less parties, or if there are some, they’re smaller and within close groups of people.”

Luke Hempen, a sophomore finance major, says that he thinks that parties became much less prevalent this year compared to the ones in the past. “It seems more dead overall this year.”

“I remember at the beginning of this year pulling up to the block party and there being nobody there. We were all so confused and then we were told that the police had shut down the party. We didn’t even bother after that and just went back to our apartment,” Hempen said.

If the party scene were to be cut out completely, some students think that it would negatively affect UNG’s social life. 

Trey Murray, a junior and history major says, “I think parties affect the social aspect of UNG greatly. Usually, when we hear of parties, there is a certain group of people hosting them whether they’re in Greek life or another organization. The organizations that host the parties gain more social status.”

Hempen also said, “I think parties have a positive effect because it provides an easy place to meet tons of people, creating an easy outlet to gain friends.”