Getting in the Spirit of Spooky Season: UNG Hosts Annual PoeDown Open Mic

Chestatee Review
PoeDown Halloween Open Mic Poster

Get ready to PoeDown on some poetry and short stories.

The University of North Georgia is hosting its annual PoeDown Open Mic event which is taking place Tuesday, Oct. 17 from 6-8 p.m. on the Dahlonega and Gainesville campuses.

James McEver, professor of English at UNG, says the PoeDown is an annual literary event where UNG student-authors offer readings from their own creative work— mainly fiction, poetry, creative nonfiction.

The event gives the space for students to share short stories and poems they have created in creative writing courses. Although students participating typically are English majors enrolled in creative writing courses at UNG, McEver says the open mic welcomes anyone interested.

“We’ve had a few faculty attend this event over the past couple of years and they’re always impressed with what students in these classes are doing,” McEver said.

The event is sponsored by the Chestatee Review, the university’s student art and literary annual. McEver said that the magazine is released every April and features creative work exclusively from UNG students while also being managed by students.

“We often have attendees who just want to support these students, or a friend; maybe they’ve never been exposed to a prose reading; maybe they’re considering their own work or whether to take a creative writing course,” said McEver.

The Chestatee Review hosts readings in the fall and spring semesters on the Dahlonega and Gainesville campuses. PoeDown Open Mic will be held in the Library Technology Center room 382 on the Dahlonega Campus, and in Nesbitt Building room 3110A on the Gainesville campus.