Painting to Celebrate Hispanic Heritage

Adrian Barrientos

The University of North Georgia’s Multicultural Student Affairs office hosted the Paint by number event on Sept. 28 in the student center.

This was a celebratory event for Hispanic Heritage month. The canvas’ had a historical figure of Hispanic origins as the subject on the canvas. The kit included an 8″ x10″ canvas and a reusable sable hair paint brush in the kits. Biographical information about the subject was included. 

I liked that they’re giving out free stuff, but mostly the fact that they are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month because it is a month that is often overlooked … Just them standing out there and handing out canvases is very special.” – UNG Freshman Angelina Mota

The event had a good turnout, with many students attending. Mota says, “I did tell a friend, so I would say very likely, I told two people [about the event].”

The event was held at UNG’s Gainesville and Dahlonega campuses. Both had 50 canvases to give out to students, totaling 100 canvases for the event. 

Kyle Murphy, the Associate Director of Multicultural Student Affairs, says, “The purpose of the event is to provide students with a fun, interactive way to learn more about important Latinx figures from U.S. history.”

The Multicultural Student Affairs office will hold two future events in the month of October. 

On Oct. 12, keynote speaker Sofia Bork will be speaking at noon on the Dahlonega campus. Her speech will also be available via Zoom. On Oct. 14, there will be a reception for the Hispanic Heritage Month Art Exhibition. This event is a collaboration with the Department of Visual Arts. The event will start at 4:00 p.m. in the Arts & Technology building in room 1905.